Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Garden Path

I love working in my flower bed. I may have a list of other things that need completing in the house but I find that I will drift outside and my feet will lead me to the garden. I may just browse through it for a few moments to clear my mind or other times I will literally lose hours. I begin with pulling a weed here or there until I just become consumed with working it and time disappears.
This year my husband bought me an adorable bench to put in the garden. We had already bought two new rosebushes, one for my mother’s day gift and the other as his father’s day gift. But that was not enough and when I mentioned the wish for a bench, he jumped all over the idea and off we went on Mother’s Day to find one. We found the perfect one at Menard’s. It looks like it has always been a part of my garden.

Of course the bench prompted me to complete the “garden path” that I had begun a few years earlier. Actually, the placing of the bench allowed the path to find its destination…and now the garden will continue to grow beyond its rock border. The misplaced plants from the garden’s path need new space and this allows me to expand the boundaries by about ten feet…for now. Rocks have to be moved and I can already tell that more excursions will be made searching out additional rocks with character to join the scenery.

If more people were able to work in the dirt with their own hands…there could be less ranting in the world. It does help the soul more than words.

No comments:

Post a Comment